Southern Wilderness New Zealand Limited Safety Terms & Customer Declaration
The following terms and conditions together with the general information contained on this website will form the basis of your contract with Southern Wilderness New Zealand and will apply to all participants on our trips
In any adventure activity, there is an element of risk involved. Risks in undertaking this guided walk can include but are not exclusive to, hypothermia, heat exhaustion, physical injury caused by the environment (e.g. rock falls) and physical injury caused by self (e.g. tripping over tree roots).
The staff and management of Southern Wilderness New Zealand Limited take all practicable steps to identify and minimize potential dangers.
By participating in this activity, you are expressly assuming these risks and responsibilities and are, to the maximum extent permitted by law releasing the Operator, its officers, employees, directors, agents and any other person associated with us, from any liability, claims, loss, damages or expenses (whatsoever and irrespective of whether direct, indirect or consequential) caused by any event including but not limited to: personal injury or death; property loss or damage; acts which may be construed as negligible or accidental; any other loss, damage, suffering, emotional or nervous disorder suffered by you or any other person in relation to this activity. You accept that you have been advised to obtain adequate travel insurance for all persons named on the booking.
By participating in the activity, the customer agrees to be bound by the following conditions:
- My successors, executors and administrators are bound by the Terms and Conditions;
- I agree not to commence any litigation proceedings in any country in relation to the risks and liabilities set out above and to indemnify the Operator against any claims;
- I confirm and warrant I am physically fit and suffer no medical conditions, which may affect my ability to participate in the activity;
- I consent to receive medical treatment in the case of injury, accident or illness during the activity and to indemnify the Operator against any claims, costs or expenses in respect of the treatment;
- I agree that any film, sound, video or other recordings taken of or during the activity will not be used in any production, or advertising without the prior consent of the Operator, however, the Operator may use such recordings itself at its complete discretion without any prior approval; and
- I agree to listen to my driver/guide/host, follow their instructions and make sure any children in my care do the same.
Furthermore, the Operator will not be responsible for any personal injury and/or property damage caused by you and any costs for such injury/damage will be your responsibility. You shall indemnify the Operator in relation to such costs.
Southern Wilderness requires a $300NZD non-refundable deposit per person, paid at the time of booking to secure your place. Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure.
CANCELLATIONS BY YOU AND REFUNDS
All cancellations must be made in writing and sent to [email protected]
Cancellation fees for all Multi Day Walks are charged on the following basis per person:
- Between 59-30 days from date of walk departure: 50% of full fare; or
- Within 30 days of the date of walk departure: 100% of full fare
Cancellation fees for all Day Walks are charged on the following basis per person:
- Outside 48 hours prior to walk departure: No fee; or
- Within 48 hours prior to walk departure: 100% of full fare.
These cancellation fees are not negotiable, therefore we strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance.
We reserve the right to withdraw any person who in our opinion is likely to endanger themselves or others. Within 24 hours of the trip departure time, no portion of the package payment is refundable in the event of an individual or group being unable to proceed further, for whatever reason. We also reserve the right to alter, amend or cancel any trip if we become concerned for any reason for the safety of the group or any individual involved. Incidents that may cause a cancellation of the walk can include but is not exclusive to, any damage to the track which may deem it too dangerous or unsafe to continue or commence the walk, any weather event which may cause flooding, dangerous amounts of snow, or any Act of God (e.g. earthquake, tsunami, tornado activity) which may pose an unacceptable risk to the guests or staff of Southern Wilderness New Zealand Limited. Trips altered, amended or cancelled will be subject to our standard cancellation and refund policy.
We strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance, to protect yourself
In the event that there are border restrictions in place in New Zealand at any time on or after 1 September 2021 directly or indirectly as a result of COVID-19, the Operator reserves the right to cancel any booking made at any time where:
- such booking was made from outside of New Zealand, or the Operator has reason to believe that any person that the booking is for is not in New Zealand; and/or
- you have not provided the Operator with such evidence to show that you will be legally entitled to be, and practically able to be, in New Zealand on the date(s) of your booking.
Where the Operator elects to cancel any booking in accordance with the above, the Operator will notify you in writing as soon as reasonably practicable, and provide a refund in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
We do not allow children under 10 years of age on our guided walks. If you are over 70 years, please consult your doctor to check your physical fitness, prior to making your booking.
Pre-season hut bookings
The Department of Conservation does not release hut availability until several months prior to the summer season, Southern Wilderness are unable to secure hut spaces until this opens, however, if clients wish to book spaces in advance the spots can be confirmed within the Southern Wilderness system and hut bookings will be made as soon as possible once the system is open, in the unlikely event that we miss out on hut spaces clients will either be offered a full refund on their deposit or the opportunity to alter their dates to suit.
Due to the changing nature of the Covid 19 pandemic in New Zealand, we will be continually updating our procedures. If you have any cold / flu symptoms or any symptoms in line with Covid 19 you will not be allowed to depart on any of our trips. If you have symptoms, do not travel, get a covid test and self-isolate. If you have any covid symptoms, have been at a location of interest or have been in touch with anybody who has had a positive test, please contact us asap to reschedule your booking.
CHANGES TO TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Operator reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time without notifying customers. Any future bookings you may make will be made subject to the Terms and Conditions which apply at the time a booking is made and you are advised to read all the Terms and Conditions carefully on each occasion prior to making a booking.
SOUTHERN WILDERNESS STRONGLY RECOMMENDS TRAVELLING WITH INSURANCE, WHETHER YOU ARE A DOMESTIC OR OVERSEAS TRAVELER, TO PROTECT AGAINST ANY COSTS WHICH MAY BE INCURRED THROUGH UNFORESEEN SITUATIONS ARISING.